Applicants are judged on the following criteria: commitment and dedication to community service, character, responsibility, and academic achievement. The selection committee is comprised of members of the Rita Matteo Memorial Scholarship Board. The committee will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. The winner(s) of the scholarship will be notified by the committee and will be invited to receive their scholarship on August 8, 2021 at the Rita Matteo Memorial Scholarship Golf Outing.
In 2021, The Rita Matteo Memorial Scholarship Board has allocated funds to award scholarships up to $15,000.00.
The following criteria have been established for the scholarship…
- The Rita Matteo Memorial Scholarship is open to all graduating seniors who have attended a minimum of two years at any Lake County high school.
- A minimum of 150 community service hours is required to be considered.
- The scholarship application is available at www.ritamatteo.org in an editable .pdf format. Applicants must TYPE DIRECTLY ONTO THE FORM. No handwritten applications will be accepted – they are often unreadable.
- Incomplete and unsigned applications will not be considered.
- The application must include an official transcript provided by the guidance office that includes GPA, class rank, and SAT/ACT scores.
- Applicants must submit TWO letters of recommendation. Each letter should attest to the applicant’s participation in activities that benefit the community, specifically highlighting the qualities of service to others, character, responsibility and achievement. The selection committee reserves the right to check your references. Letters of recommendation must follow the guidelines outlined below.
a. Provide one letter of recommendation from a school staff member (teacher, guidance counselor or principal) of your high school. All letters must include contact info for the writer.
b. Provide one letter of recommendation from someone at an organization you have volunteered with. This letter of recommendation may not be from a school staff member.
All letters must include contact info for the writer.
- Completed applications MUST be turned into your guidance office no later than March 10, 2021.
- The Rita Matteo Memorial Scholarship Board reserves the right to disqualify any applicant for failing to follow the above guidelines.
- Rita Matteo Memorial Scholarship recipients authorize that their name and image may be shared publicly in RMMS communications, which include but are not limited to social media content, published literature and inclusion on www.ritamatteo.org.